Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Smoothie

So yesterday was National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day.

I was supposed to make this yesterday 
but after going 3 grocery stores,
rhubarbs and organic strawberries were all sold out!!!

It was purely a coincidence
 unless all the people in my neighborhood celebrated it!

So today,
I decided to go back to the grocery store.
And first grocery store had them both.

And it perfectly fits our
We Drink Pink on Wednesdays!

So here's the recipe of

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE SMOOTHIE



Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk (or your choice of milk)
1/2 cup strawberries (preferably organic, why? click here)
1/3 cup rhubarb slices
1 tbsp ground flax seeds - this is our pretend-pie crust! :)
a drop of vanilla extract (optional)
a sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
Medjool dates or any sweetener of your choice (optional)

Directions:
Just mix all the ingredients in the blender.
Tada!

Fun Fact:
Botanically speaking, 
rhubarb is a vegetable 
but its thick, fleshy stalks are treated as a fruit, despite their tart flavour.

*Do you know that it is my first time to have a rhubarb? 

I know rhubarb growing up because it is in the recipe book that my mom owned.
So I know how it looks like but for some reason
I don't know why I never had it.
I guess because it resembles celery
except that it is pinkish.
(I am not a big fan of celery.
I use it for cooking 
but need to force myself to eat it raw.
I just did it recently with my homemade hummus
and in a smoothie.
And I am trying my best to eat more of it.)

Since it is my first time to use rhubarb,
I had to research how to prepare it:

Rhubarb leaves contain a poison, oxalic acid, so should never be eaten. Cut them off and discard. Maincrop rhubarb can sometimes have some tough, stringly ribs so, after washing it, strip these off with a small, sharp knife then slice the stalk thinly or thickly as required. 
Forced rhubarb should be tender enough not to need peeling.
Just wash then trim the top and bottom of the stalks and slice.

Just a little info about it in the UK:

Rhubarb grows in two crops. 
The first,
 which arrives early in the year, is forced, grown under pots, 
particularly in what's known as the 'rhubarb triangle' around Leeds, Wakefield and Bradford. 
Its stalks are watermelon pink, with pale lime green leaves
and it is the more tender and delicately flavoured of the two.
The second, 
called maincrop rhubarb, 
is grown outdoors, and arrives in spring. 
Its stalks are a deeper red, tinged with green, and its leaves a brighter green. 
It has a more intense flavour and a more robust texture than forced.

Anyways hope you learned something new today!
And if you never had a rhubarb like me,
well try something new today as well!

Hope you'll enjoy it my fellow healthy girls!

Till next Wednesday,







No comments:

Post a Comment