Saturday, June 6, 2015

Spirulina: Facts & Recipe

So I've been hearing about spirulina for quite sometime now actually
but never tried it myself.
So a couple of weeks ago,
I decided to buy one.
And I'm finally trying it today.

Like I said before,
as a healthcare professional,
it is my responsibility to educate people 
and my main goal is health promotion
which will lead to disease prevention
or hopefully help treat or alleviate symptoms/diseases.
When I meant "educate",
I am speaking of evidence-based research
and not just what you Google (so many articles out there) 
or nutritional supplement companies.

For spirulina,
I must admit it is quite expensive.
But if it works for you,
then the price you pay is definitely worth it.

What is spirulina?

"Spirulina is a diverse group of blue-green algae that grows naturally in salt-water lakes in Africa and Mexico, as well as in some fresh water lakes. As the name indicates, the algae grow in a spiral shape. It is a popular dietary supplement."

Like any other nutritional supplement,
the first key is to make sure that what you are buying
is safe.

"Some blue-green algae products are grown under controlled conditions. Others are grown in a natural setting, where they are more likely to be contaminated by bacteria, liver poisons (microcystins) produced by certain bacteria, and heavy metals. Choose only products that have been tested and found free of these contaminants."

So most often,
you'll see that spirulina is marketed as an "energy booster".
The one I bought from Whole Foods says 
that each serving gives you Vitamin A (a natural beta-carotene),
Vitamin B12 and a high protein content.
Serving size is 1 level tsp (3 g)
and there are 63 servings/bottle = 63 days/2 months.
A bottle of it is 190 g and cost varies from £15-20 depends where you buy it.
I got mine for £14.59
but you can buy it for £14.68 with free shipping in Amazon, click here.
I can't seem to find the exact same brand in US.
But other brands start at $12.
You can choose here.

"Spirulina is primarily taken as a nutritional supplement. The algae itself is nutritious, and as well as having vitamins and minerals, spirulina is a non-animal source for vitamin B12. However, vitamin B12 in this form cannot be absorbed by people. The algae is rich in protein but you would have to consume a considerable amount of tablets for your body to get enough protein. Other forms of protein, found in animal sources, pulses, nuts and grains, are better, less costly, alternatives."

The fact is that:

"You may have been told that blue-green algae are an excellent source of protein. 
But, in reality, blue-green algae is no better than meat or milk as a protein source and costs about 30 times as much per gram."

So if you can't afford it,
don't stress about it.

Blue-green algae have a high protein, iron, and other mineral content which is absorbed when taken orally. Blue-green algae are being researched for their potential effects on the immune system, swelling (inflammation), and viral infections.

For in-depth information,
click here
and here.

I am on a healthy journey
and I would like to try it for myself.
It has worked for some
and it might work for me.
I bought a safe one
and I am using it in complement 
to my other health routines.

So the decision is yours to make.
I hope I have informed you well.

It is important to note that before taking any nutritional supplement,
always read the side effects, contraindications & interactions
especially if you have a medical condition or taking certain drugs.

Here's the Spirulina Smoothie recipe by Deliciously Ella:



Ingredients:

1 banana
1 cup blueberries (preferably organic)
1 cup spinach (preferably organic)
1 cup kale (preferably organic)
3/4 of a cup of water/almond milk/coconut water
(I used 1 cup of almond milk, I prefer mine to be thinner)
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp hemp protein powder (optional)
1 tsp spirulina
2 medjool dates (pitted, optional, natural sweetener)

*Why preferably organic? Click here.

Direction:

Just everything in the blender till smooth.
That's it!

*Hemp seeds is like flax seeds. So if you have flax seeds,
I think it would be good as well.
I'll try it next time.

If you missed my post about flax seeds,
click here.

"Hemp seed is a real superfood. It provides brain-powering protein, omega-3s and -6s, and a variety of antioxidants and other nutrients. Often packaged as a powder, the seeds of Cannabis sativa -- better known as hemp -- are totally versatile. Their nutty flavor blends well with lots of breakfast foods and baked goods. Stir a couple of spoonfuls into oatmeal, mix with milk or yogurt, sprinkle on cereal, or bake into muffins."

Source: WebMD

*If you have decided that you don't need spirulina,
the smoothie will still be good!
I am sure because I didn't add spirulina 
to my other half's smoothie.
And it is still delish and of course healthy!


Have a lovely and hopefully healthy weekend,










No comments:

Post a Comment