Friday, June 12, 2015

Oaty Smoothie

It is Feel Good Friday!

Deliciously Ella's Oaty Smoothie 
is one of the first smoothies I made from her book.

The first time I made it,
I didn't have maca and/or baobab powders yet.

my first oaty smoothie on my Day 4
my oaty smoothie with baobab powder on Day 22
which was reposted by Aduna in their IG account
So what is baobab?

Baobab is a tree native to Africa, Madagascar, Australia, and Arabia.
The tree is used as a source of water and food for indigenous people.

Fruit and leaves of the tree are used medicinally for
asthma, mosquito repellent, and for allergic skin conditions.


Some people are calling the baobab fruit the next “super food” because of its exotic nature and rich nutrient profile.

Unfortunately,
there is not much scientific evidence as of yet to prove the medicinal purposes
but---
the fruit and leaves contain several nutrients and have some antioxidant properties.

Baobab is marketed as a superfood
packed with Vitamin C,
rich source of fibre
and high in antioxidants.

So I did a VERY detailed research about it.
I felt like I was back in grad school!
My head hurts now. lol

 
So it is safe to say that the claims about this superfood is true.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough information to know if baobab is safe to using while pregnant or breast-feeding; stay on the safe side and avoid using.

I haven't seen any studies of it on humans though I saw one for quails,
if you are interested in research, click here.

But I personally advise to ask your OB/GYN if you are pregnant.

Verdict:
Baobab is LIKELY SAFE when consumed as a food.
However, there is no reliable information about its safety when used as medicine.

Sources: WebMD and US Food & Drug Administration

As always,
the decision is yours to make.
I hope you are well informed.

Since it is my 3rd time to have it,
I experimented a little bit more.
Here is the recipe:

Oaty Smoothie

I added both maca & baobab for Day 35

4 Brazil Nuts (I doubled it this time)
1.5 cup oats (I only used 1 cup this time)
1 banana
2 Medjool Dates (I used 3, just because 3 is 1 serving. lol)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1 tsp maca and/or
1 tsp baobab powder (both optional)
*this time, I used both since I have them already
1/2 cup water (or oat milk if you have)

Soak oats & Brazil nuts for an hour (or overnight if you are doing it the following morning).
Drain the water from oats. 
*I didn't drain it this time.
Place in the blender with all the other ingredients
and 1/2 cup water. 
*I didn't add water this time as I want to spoon it like a yogurt.
Blend until smooth.
*You can add more or less water depending on the consistency you prefer.

If you missed the post about MACA,
click here.

Your Feel Good Triber,
@princessweetah




No comments:

Post a Comment