Friday, June 26, 2015

Fish Friday

Since I'm trying to stay away from red meat and meat in general as much as I can,
I have been eating more fish than ever in my whole life.

For devoted Catholics,
Fish Friday is a part of Lent.

But what if you can start your health journey 
by staying away from meat every Friday?

I want to leave that for you to ponder on.

It is just one of my suggestions on starting a healthier lifestyle slowly.

Anyways,
since I started this health journey,
I have been eating the same kinds of fish.
Salmon & mackerel are among the usuals.

Living in London,
I have seen fruits, vegetables & fish
that I haven't seen or even heard before.

I have tried some new vegetables
and I decided to try a new fish.

It is called Lemon Sole.
Sounded really funny
so I told the fishmonger
I'll try a piece of it.

Plus, it is cheap!
It is like 2 gbp/3 usd per piece.

Apparently, it is a native to Europe.
No wonder it is new to me.

And before I can even cook it,
I got so distracted about its name. lol

Some says that its origin is from mid-19th century: lemon from French "limande".
 The French term "limande" may come from the French word "lime"
meaning "file" (the tool) or possibly referring to the texture of the fish's skin.
Some suggest that "limande" may also come from the French word "limon" (which means "silt").
The fish is neither a real sole, nor does it have the taste of lemon.

Anyways after looking for recipes on how to cook lemon sole,
I decided to make my own version of it by combining different recipes from different chefs.

And since it is called lemon sole,
adding a lemon is a must. haha



Ingredients:


1 whole lemon sole, washed
6 pcs baby plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved (preferably organic, why? click here.)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
3 green onions aka scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar (healthier) or vinegar of choice
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
zest & juice of 1 lemon (divide into half)
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
6 pcs black olives, destoned and chopped

Directions:

With a sharp knife score across each fish down in intervals on both sides.
This will allow the flavors from the sauce to penetrate the fish and lets the fish's juices come out.

Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.

Mix tomatoes, garlic, green onions/scallions, vinegar, salt , pepper, zest and juice of 1/2 lemon & EVOO in a bowl. Mix well then spread over the bottom of a baking tray.
Place the fish on top.
In a bowl, add the olives, juice and zest of the other half of the lemon & EVOO.
Place on the top center of each.

Cook in the preheated oven for 12-15 mins depending on the size of the fish.
To check whether they're done,
take the tip of a knife and push it into the thickest part of the fish.
When done, the flesh will easily pull away from the bone.

Once cooked, remove the fish from the oven and allow them to rest for a couple of minutes.

Serve the whole tray with mixed salad and/or potatoes;
or for Filipinos, brown rice. haha


We loved it! 
This is gonna be in our staples from now on.

Enjoy!

Homemade with love,
Princess





No comments:

Post a Comment