Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Deliciously Ella

So for those who follow me in Instagram ,
you might have already seen that I have recently started eating healthy.
Just want to clarify that I am not planning to be a vegetarian/vegan.
I am still eating "bad" food once in a while 
(as a treat or just plainly no choice especially when we travel which is a challenge).
And being a foodie,
I can NOT simply give up trying new things especially when I go to new countries.
But whenever I can, 
I try not to eat too much meat anymore
and stay away from dairy as much as possible.
And don't worry,
 I'm not going to unfriend you in FB or unfollow in IG 
if you don't eat healthy.
All I am trying to do is share my journey to being healthy
and like Ella Woodward said,
"you can make it work for you....
as long as you're loving your plants I'm happy!"

So how did I find out about Deliciously Ella?
I attended the Vogue Festival last April 
and heard about her.
I first thought she was this health guru from Australia who all made up having a cancer.
And one day in May,
during one of the darkest moment in life,
I googled her.
She was very inspiring and so I decided to buy her book.
And on the 21st of May,
I was lucky enough to meet Ella Woodward.



I have some friends who want me to share some recipes and I'll start off by sharing 
my own version of Deliciously Ella's
Apple, Pear, Avocado & Spinach Detox Smoothie.
(If you saw something in Instagram that you specifically like,
please let me know and I'll post the recipe of it.)



I said "my own version" because I don't have a juicer yet.
I keep on forgetting to order one.
But I survived so far!
So don't despair if you don't have the gadgets
and they don't have to be expensive.
I am currently based in London
so it is not practical for me to buy expensive ones
as I know I won't be able to use them in NYC when I get back.
(I bought my whole set of Ninja here just to realize I can't use it. huhuhu)
All you need is a blender and you're good to go!
I got the cheapest blender in Curry's for £9.99.
It is not as strong and fast but it does the job.
Just have a little more patience sometimes. ;)

Here's the original 
Deliciously Ella's Apple, pear, avocado & spinach detox smoothie:
2 red apples
1 pear
1 small avocado
handful spinach
1 tsp Manuka honey
1 tsp hemp protein
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp flax seeds

Juice apples & pear then add the rest of the ingredients in the blender.

My blender version:


1 red apple
1 pear
1 serving spinach (1/3 of a bag, varies per brand)
1 cup of water
*1 tsp Manuka honey
*1 tsp hemp protein
*1 tsp chia seeds
*1 tsp flax seeds

Cut the fruits into small pieces. Mix all ingredients together in the blender until smooth.
*These are optional
(I bought them in my local grocery 
with the exception of hemp protein which I got in Whole Foods.)

Tip:
If you are using organic apples & pears,
it is ok to add the skin.
If not,
peel the skin.
As for the avocado, not a big deal because you won't eat the skin!
I recommend organic spinach if you can.

***I will post another blog re: fruits & vegetables 
that retain the most & least amount of pesticides
so you can use it as a guideline when buying in the market.
If you can grow it yourselves,
much better!




I made the Courgette Noodles with Avocado Pesto
that she is eating on the cover
using the spiralizer I discussed on my previous blog post.


To buy her book,

click here if you're in the US
and
Here if you're in UK.


For those who are in my home country Philippines,
and is interested but can't get a hold of it,
I can do you a favor.
I can buy and send it to you,
provided you pay for it course. ;) 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment