Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Crispy Healthy Onion Rings

Hi everyone!

Belated Happy Onion Rings Day!

Ever wonder why onion rings are more expensive than fries/chips?

Because it takes more time to make a crispy one.
I've made some before but it gets soggy after a while
and I fried them.

Well, here's the Onion Rings Recipe from my post last night
that is yummy but healthy!



Ingredients:
1 large onion (good enough for 2 people)
buttermilk or 1/4 cup white vinegar + almond milk (or milk of choice) (I used 2nd choice)
egg, beaten (or egg white only)

Breading:
flour (I used brown flour)
pollenta
bread crumbs (I used gluten-free)

Seasoning:
salt
ground black pepper
and/or your choice of herbs & spices

Sauce:
ketchup, optional (preferably organic, why? click here.)


Directions:
Slice the onions crosswise to achieve the rings.
Carefully take them off apart to maintain the ring shape.

Soak them in the buttermilk for at least an hour.
The longer the better.




Preheat the oven at 220C.

Then dip them in beaten egg/egg white.
*I used whole eggs


Then roll in the breading mix.



Place in a single layer on your baking sheet.

For the baking time,
all ovens are different
and our preference for crispiness differs.
I baked mine for 15 minutes and they were already crunchy!

Just bake the onion rings
until they’ve reached your desired level of brownness & crispiness.


Perfect match for my healthy homemade Turkey Burger! ;)
Recipe to follow.

Enjoy!

Homemade with love,
Princess



No comments:

Post a Comment