Monday, June 8, 2015

Baked Chicken in Tomato & Basil with Mushrooms

So I was initially posting this recipe for a friend who requested it
after seeing my post in Instagram.
Then more people requested for it.
So here it is:

Baked Chicken in Tomato & Basil with Mushrooms



Ingredients:
tomatoes (any variety of your choice) & cherry tomatoes, chopped 
(I suggest a serving of each per person & recommend organic for cherry ones at least), 
onion, thinly sliced
basil, parsley & oregano (I cut ones from my plants or use dried ones)
lemon juice (I used freshly squeezed lemon)
2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
  potatoes (regular or baby, peel if not organic)
chicken stock (I recommend homemade or low-fat organic stock cube), 1 cup
freshly chopped basil, around 4 tbsp
6 chicken thighs (I recommend free range or organic)
button mushrooms (I mixed chestnut & white)


Directions:
Heat 1 tbsp EVOO.
Sautee onions until translucent, add garlic until fragrant then add the tomatoes until soft & juicy.
Add some basil, parsley  & oregano according to your taste.
Freshly ground some black pepper to taste & sprinkle some salt & a splash of lemon juice.
*If you want a thicker sauce, add some tomato paste.
*If you want a thinner sauce, add some water.
*I didn't add anything on mine. It was just right.
Heat 1 tbsp of EVOO & brown the chicken on both sides. Save the oil.
Then place into a baking dish along with the tomato sauce, whole button mushrooms (or cut into halves if bigger ones) and half of the basil. Add the chicken stock.
Place the dish in a preheated oven (180 oC) and cook for 25 minutes.
Boil the potatoes until cooked while waiting for the baked chicken.
Drain and put the potatoes on a plate, place the cooked chicken on top of them.
Finish by sprinkling the other half of the basil.
Optional: Drizzle the oil from browning chicken.



*Baking the chicken is not only healthy 
but makes it juicy & moist.


To my special friend,
I know you'll do well with this
and may your family & friends
like it and may you all
enjoy your relaxing weekend in the Hamptons!
Send my greetings to my first home in New York.
Love you!

Spreading love & good health,
@princessweetah



  
Each serving is roughly 500 calories. 
Please check your own brands as they vary.

P.S. It is also National Soul Food Month,
so you can make this as your healthy soul food recipe!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment