Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wedding Wednesdays!

Let us talk about some wedding traditions.
For this Wedding Wednesday,
it is all about

Tossing the Bouquet

Tossing the bouquet is a tradition that stems from England. 
Women used to try to rip pieces of the bride's dress and flowers 
in order to obtain some of her good luck. 
To escape from the crowd the bride would toss her bouquet and run away. 
Today the bouquet is tossed to single women 
with the belief that whoever catches it will be the next to marry.


I honestly NEVER believed in this tradition

but hey it's fun! ;)


I remember my first time "catching" the bouquet.

It was in my cousin's wedding in the suburbs in the Philippines.
In general, single Filipino women shy away from this event.
They don't wanna join or they are being dragged to go the floor.
The first time the bride tossed the bouquet,
it fell in the floor as no one even attempted to catch it.
So the next time she tossed it,
well let me catch it I guess! lol



Sorry for the blurry picture quality =P

The second time I "got" the bouquet was not thru a toss.
This was during my friend's church wedding that was held in the Philippines.
(They were civilly wed in New York.)
Philippine weddings has become so innovative.
Everyone wants to be unique in their own little ways.
So in this event,
all single ladies were each given a flower.
Then among these women,
the one who has the shortest and longest stem stayed.
And of course,
I was one of the two!
Then,
the audience aka guests were asked to choose among the two who should get the bouquet.
Well, the other lady was a young teen I believe.
So obviously, I was the one chosen!





And the third time I got the bouquet was thru a real toss

in my friend's wedding in New Jersey.
And this time I really got it the first attempt! haha


               














(I am still looking for the pic of me literally in the air catching the bouquet! lol)




So was this an example of "third time's a charm"? ;)



And did you notice that in these 3 incidences:



1. I was a bridesmaid

2. all of these weddings' color motif was pink


Isn't that a crazy coincidence?! 




Anyways, I've been to a couple of weddings already that didn't do bouquet/garter toss.

The centuries-old bouquet and garter toss traditions may be going out of style.
And I kind of agree.
Unless I do not toss the bouquet
and make a different way of giving away the bouquet,
maybe I'll consider.


Maybe you're wondering why.



Here's my take on that:


The bouquet toss can be fun but it really depends on the single women who are there.
If they're up to the game, it can be fun. 
But what if they're shy?
Plus, I feel like we are just making our female friends feel more single than they already do.
And even if they're up to it,
it is not fun to watch your unmarried women friends "fight" over a bouquet.
I've seen some who are really competitive with this.


Then after the bouquet toss comes the garter toss.

Sometimes, the guys don't like the girl who got the bouquet.
So none of them wants to get the garter!
That is just plain awkward!


Did you toss the bouquet at your wedding? 

Or will you toss it?
 Or is this is a tradition to, well, toss?

Tell me in the comments!





For updates, follow me in Instagram: @princessweetah








No comments:

Post a Comment